Monday, February 18, 2008

Dryocopus pileatus

also know as the Pileated Woodpecker!

the pileated has been one of my (Jeff) favorite birds ever since I was a kid. I'll always remember looking up woodpeckers in the bird book at my Nana and Pop pop's house, admiring the striking red color that many of the woodpeckers have. I always wished I could see one, but it wouldn't be until a few years ago that I started seeing/hearing them with any regularity. The pileated is my favorite of the woodpecker family, and 2nd only to my absolute favorite bird, the bald eagle.

anyway, we have some pileateds that hang out around our neighborhood very regularly. Today, one of them spent about an hour in a tree next to the house pecking away. I took some pictures out the bedroom window. It's a rainy, foggy day today, so the pictures didn't come out as good as I would have liked them, but anyway, here are a couple...
If you'd like to learn more about this awesome bird, go here...

1 comment: